Sunday, April 11, 2010

Holy Moments

I've learned that the quietness of Sunday mornings can be special when interrupted by a child. This morning it was my youngest, Luke, who quietly walked into the den. I was sitting in silence thinking about the lessons and sermons of the day and straining to hear God's voice over my own thoughts. Luke snuggled up next to me, never saying a word. As the pre-dawn light faintly illuminated the den, I noticed his fingers beating out their own rhythm - following their own pathway to illustrate whatever was happening in his mind.
We continued sitting there for fifteen or twenty minutes - neither of us saying anything. Him snuggled up to me, me watching his hand and thinking of how small it is compared to mine (how large it is compared to the tiny hand it used to be - how small it is compared to what I anticipate it will be one day). I fought back the stinging in my eyes as I continued to watch the rhythm of his ever-growing hand... And I thought about how God looks at me and longs for me to snuggle up beside him in the quiet still of the early morning.
The silence was eventually broken when Luke got up to go get the Nintendo DS. But he came back and sat right beside me and started to play. And I found myself enjoying just sitting there watching him play his game - even though I cared nothing about the game he was playing. And again, I thought about God looking at me and longing for me to sit beside him as I play my games (which may not interest him in the least).
And without my realizing it - I had heard God's voice.
Life as I know it is best when I snuggle up close to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment