Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Fool's Holiday


There’s a spider on your shoulder. No, really. Look! Its big and hairy and its crawling toward your face!!! … April Fool’s!!! Hahahaha
That works a lot better in person. Especially when the person is under five years old. Yes, its April 1st – April Fool’s Day. The “holiday” for simple-minded pranksters (self included). A celebration of silliness. Oh, and lest we forget, its also the Thursday before Easter – a real, honest to goodness, actual holiday that celebrates the resurrection of the Son of God. One of my facebook friends powerfully noted the intersection of the two with this status update: “I’m confused whether this is the day that we play pranks on people or if this is the day where we remember the last supper and Jesus praying and being arrested…”
It seems ironic that April Fool’s Day should occur during the “Holy Week.” At first glance, what could be further apart than a celebration of fools and the celebration of the Risen Lord? But look again… Maybe this is THE perfect time for April Fool’s Day to occur.
“For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: ‘I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.’ Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.” – I Corinthians 1:18-25
Later on in the same letter, Paul, in a completely different context, says, “We are fools for Christ…” (I Corinthians 4:10)
Life as I know it is best lived as a fool…for Christ. Celebrate the new life that you have in Christ this weekend. Celebrate the fact that he rose from the dead. And when someone calls you a fool, just look them in the eye and gratefully say, “thank you for noticing – can I tell you about the one who made me this way?”
And if you don’t yet have that new life in Christ – get in touch with me. I’d love to help you find what I’ve found. You can find me on facebook or leave a comment and I will get in touch with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment