Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Your Nose is Like the Tower of Lebanon

Today's reading in The Daily Bible (May 26th for those of you who will want to follow along) is Song of Solomon. If you haven't read Song of Solomon and are unfamiliar with it, its a... ummm... its about... Song of Solomon is a conversation between a lover and a beloved (and some friends who keep chiming in at seemingly inappropriate times). As with much poetry, it is difficult for me to follow exactly what the writer is trying to accomplish in this short book. And the difficulty is compounded by the fact that it is just hard to understand the sultry language that lover and beloved use to woo one another.
The plain cold fact is, if I told my wife, "your nose is like the tower of Lebanon," I would have the honor of sleeping for a couple of days...and when I finally awoke in the hospital room, my vision would be blurry for a few more days. But apparently, for Solomon, the tower of Lebanon is a pretty sexy compliment for a nose back in the day. (Personally, I didn't think there was a really good compliment for a nose - I know its nice to have one, but never found myself really admiring any one's nose.) I also never knew that temples that resemble pomegranates are a turn on. I thought the temple was supposed to be a gentle depression, not a prominent lump on either side of the head. (Turns out Frankenstein's monster is actually devilishly handsome in Solomon's eyes.)
Here's the deal - the language you use isn't really that important when you are conveying your love to someone as long as you communicate. Others may think your words are corny or stupid or funny or outright distasteful, but if your spouse understands you and the love that you are conveying it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. The real tragedy is in failing to communicate. To have a lovely bride and not tell her how beautiful she is in your eye is a good way to lose the intimacy of your marriage. To know the words to say to make your handsome husband feel like a king and never speak them is a good way to prevent your marriage from being the powerful union it could be.
If you haven't yet read "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman, read it. Learn how to speak to your husband or wife in a way that will cement your relationship together. Practice writing a note to her about how beautiful she is. Whisper in his ear how handsome he is to you. Read Song of Solomon together and take turns complimenting each other's features. ("Your waist is a mound of wheat" is another of my favorites.)
Life as I know it is best when I practice telling my wife how beautiful she is. I confess that I don't do it enough. How about you? When is the last time you told your husband or wife how beautiful they are?

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever seen the drawing from the Wittenburg Door, the one showing a literal interpretation of the descriptions in Song of Solomon? One blogger posted it here:
    http://corey.truebaptist.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Song_of_Solomon_illustrated-literally.jpg

    Your post made me think of that. And it's a good reminder that I need to compliment my wife more.

    Grace and peace,
    Tim Archer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tim. Its been a while since I've seen a rendering of such a "beautiful" subject. (WARNING: Illustration Tim linked to could cause uncrontrollable outbursts of laughter)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband told me once that I had bullfrog legs. To a rancher, this is apparently a compliment. We worked it out.
    So, as you say, a love language is just that... a language of love between people who are in love. I guess that's why the world doesn't understand the language of love that God uses with us. Hum!!! Something I never would have thought of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thought about God's love, Nancy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete