Monday, March 15, 2010

Ouch!


Let's be honest - there are times that reading through the Bible is about as exciting as reading a Chinese phone book. Now, I haven't actually attempted to read a Chinese phone book, so maybe this comparison is a little bit unfair - but since the Chinese language uses different symbols, I know that it would not be exciting for me to try to read it.

Recently I have been reading a chronological Bible that is divided up into daily readings. It is called the Daily Bible and was edited and arranged by F. LaGard Smith. For the past month my daily readings have consisted of the laws of Deuteronomy and Leviticus fame, the numbers of Numbers fame, and most recently the physical description of the borders of the territories of each of the tribes of Israel. I made it through the laws...it was hard, but I made it. The parts of numbers where everything is numbered and repeated for each tribe...I kind of skipped over about eleven of the accounts. And yesterday, when it was time to divide Canaan among the tribes - I just turned back to the map in my other Bible...one glance told me what several chapters in Joshua tried to tell me.

In addition to reading from the Daily Bible, I also read a chapter in Proverbs - the chapter that corresponds to the day's date. Typically I read the chapter from Proverbs after I read the other.

I say all of that to say that sometimes the Bible just doesn't speak to me for a long period of time. But this morning was different. This morning just took one verse. In fact, I haven't even made it to Joshua's farewell address yet (at least it isn't more land divisions!). This morning I read Proverbs 15 first. Well, not first. Before I got to Proverbs 15, I had a couple of encounters with the kids... one of them grumbling, all of them not answering questions, one lying ... In the midst of trying to sort out the laundry and explaining myself rather bluntly, I was asked, "are you not happy that we're home today?"

Moments later I read Proverbs 15:1. "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." One verse was all it took today for the Bible to speak to me. I was guilty of having harsh words and stirring up anger within my own home.

Life as I know it is frustrating sometimes. In my desire for my kids to mature, sometimes I become immature. And that's why I have made it my goal to read the Bible every day...so that I can receive instruction in the moment that I need it, encouragement in the midst of trials, peace in the middle of storms, and wisdom for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment