Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Weight Room Wisdom


One of the most memorable sayings of my teen years is “no pain, no gain.” It was the weight room mantra. Every coach I ever had indoctrinated us with the idea that if we did not endure some difficulties off the field, we would not improve our performance on the field. I was reminded of that teaching this morning as I added a few pounds to my workout. And with every ounce of strength within me I fought back the retort that I had grown fond of during my teen years as I heard another coach chanting the oh-so-familiar mantra. My juvenile retort was, “no pain, no pain.”
I have never been a big fan of weightlifting… scratch that – I have never been a big fan of exercising. Loved sports. Loved playing the games. But did not like the discipline of exercise. Now as I approach my ___-ieth birthday, I find that I need the discipline of exercise. So this morning I fought the urge to skip my weightlifting and actually added a little bit of weight to my not-so-routine routine.
It was in the midst of this exercise in pain that I began to think about the spiritual condition of … . I hesitate to identify any one group here, because I think this is one of those issues where all groups are united. We are all united in the spiritual condition of adequacy. If it were a syndrome (sin-drome), it might be labeled the “just enough” syndrome. Mark Buchanan would call it living in the borderland worshiping a safe god syndrome (see his book “Your God is Too Safe,” Multnomah Press, 2001).
The essence of this mindset is that we look for the least amount necessary to be saved. Some view that as a prayer asking Christ to be Lord of their life. Some define that as baptism. Some believe the prayers of a priest are necessary. However they define the least amount needed to be saved, they go to that mark. And there they sit for the rest of their lives, content with the notion that they are safe.
As I was working out this morning and struggling to keep a positive attitude toward increasing the amount I was lifting and wrestling with the idea that I had been guilty of spiritual laziness along with the rest of …, this passage came into my head:
“For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.
“Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” -- 2 Peter 1:5-11
Make every effort.
Add to.
Increasing measure.
Life as I know it is best when we don’t settle for spiritual minimalism. Or, life as I know it is best when we add spiritual disciplines in increasing measure to our lives. Yes, it is difficult – at first. But just like lifting weights, we become accustomed to them and get to the point that we can increase a little more. I am at the point of realizing that more exercise is needed in my life for me to get in the shape I need to be in – which means the even more painful step of adding cardiovascular activity to my exercise. (YUCK!) It will be painful. But it will be beneficial. Perhaps there is a spiritual discipline that I need to add as well. And, yes that will be painful, too. And just like lifting weights, results will not be seen overnight. It is a discipline that yields results with extended intentional use. But that’s life as I know it and I know that I don’t want to repeat the spiritual mantra of “no pain, no pain” anymore. I want to be effective and productive. And for that to happen I must make every effort, add to, and increase the measure of my spiritual walk each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment