Wednesday, March 31, 2010

How Does It End?!?!


Grandmother read the last chapter of a book first. Before she invested her time in reading the entire book, she wanted to make sure she liked the way it ended. If she liked the ending, she would read the rest of the book. If she didn’t like the ending, she would give the book away or take it back to the library or throw it in the garbage can.
Her logic doesn’t make complete sense to me. I have often wondered why you would read a book if you already knew how the story ended. When the movie Titanic came out several years ago, I had little desire to see it – after all, I knew that towards the end of the movie the boat would sink. Knowing the ending takes away the mystery. Reading the last chapter takes away the suspense of finishing a chapter and having to start another one to find out how the plot lines will unravel.
So I don’t read the last chapter first when I read a book. But in my life – I find that I want to know the end before I endure the suspense and the mystery and the wonder of the story slowly revealing itself to me. I feel this way especially when answers seem slow in coming or the storyline doesn’t go the way I think it should. In those moments I want to skip to the next chapter or fast-forward a little way and see how things are going to work out. Let’s face it, sometimes the pages of life just turn too slowly.
Now, having said all of that, let me tell you about the last chapter of a story that will not take away the suspense or the mystery or the wonder of the story. It is the story of Easter. The discovery of the empty tomb is the beginning of a chapter that leads to a life of mystery and suspense and wonder. Satan tried to write the last chapter on the cross, but God displayed his power in raising Jesus from the dead. The cross reminds me of my guilt and shame… and God’s love and mercy. The empty tomb reminds me of my new life in Christ. And this life in Christ is ever-new, ever-surprising, ever-amazing, ever-incredible. Sure, there are times that I want to know how the chapter ends – but I already know the story ends with God’s love and that is good enough for me.
Life as I know it is often mysterious, sometimes gut-wrenching, occasionally bland, and full of unknowns. But life as I know it is also possible because of the one who died for me. For that reason, I will do my best today to live my life to glorify Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment